The Elijah Iles House is the oldest surviving home in Springfield, Illinois. Built in 1827 by a city founder, Charles Matheny, the home was occupied by Elijah Iles (1796-1883), who was Springfield's first merchant. He was a friend of Abraham Lincoln and fought with him in the Black Hawk War of 1832. Iles later helped Lincoln bring the Illinois capitol to Springfield, and he supported Lincoln's campaigns for political office.
The house originally stood at the southeast corner of Sixth and Cook and later at 1825 South Fifth. In 1990, the Iles House Foundation incorporated as a non-profit group to give the home a new location on the northeast corner of Seventh and Cook. The foundation has raised funds to sponsor a restoration of the building as a museum and conference center.
On September 23 and 24, 2005, the Iles House will have a grand opening. Watch this space for further announcements.
If you would like to become a member and support historic preservation in Sangamon County, write to The Elijah Iles Foundation, P. O. Box 144, Springfield, Illinois 62705