In January-February, the Iles House closes and holds few scheduled events. To pass the winter, we will look in on other historic sites in Illinois and the Midwest.
Before Christmas, Dulany Sriner made a visit to the Peoria-Pekin area and took in the famous courthouse at Metamora, Illinois. Built in 1845, the two-story brick building served as the seat of Woodford County until that shifted to Eureka in 1896.
Abraham Lincoln practiced law on the Eighth Judicial Circuit in this building, one of only two that survive from that era. (The other is at Mt. Pulaski.) The flag above the judicial chair flew at one of the 1858 Lincoln-Douglas debates.
The courtroom has original flooring but otherwise is restored with period furnishings and accessories. It's open to the public Wed-Sat and closed on major holidays. For information about hours, call (309) 367-4470.
Thanks to Dulany for his pictures and time.