Saturday, October 11, 2008

Old Settlers Day

The second annual Old Settlers Day will be Sunday, October 19 from noon to 4 pm at the Strawbridge-Shepherd House, on Shepherd Road between UIS and LLCC. (Click on the picture to enlarge.)

The public may tour the house, and various experts will explain its renovation. Entertainment, historical exhibits and demonstrations will be available. Mrs. Shepherd's Pantry, hosted by UIS alumni, students, and faculty, will provide delicious home-baked, kettle-cooked foods.

Old Settlers Day revives a custom from the early years of Sangamon County, set to honor the Sugar Creek settlers who survived the bitter winter of 1832. Once restored, the Strawbridge-Shepherd House will serve UIS as the Sugar Creek Institute, offering a program of studies in prairie ecology, cultural history, and architecture.

The Iles House Foundation is directing restoration and welcomes volunteers and donations to complete this major preservation project.

No comments: