Today the University of Illinois at Springfield and the Iles House Foundation announced an agreement on the Strawbridge-Shepherd House, an 1845 home on University land.
The University has granted the Foundation a 10-year lease and the two institutions will work together to preserve and maintain the property. Some restoration work began in late November, as seen in these pictures.
Details about the agreement appear in today's issue of the State Journal-Register. The Foundation has raised seed funds to launch this project, and it welcomes contributions from the public. Eventually the Strawbridge-Shepherd House will serve Sangamon County as the Iles House serves Springfield, as places for preserving and learning about a remarkable past.
Pictures by Dick Hart